I have been working hard on a Temple Study for a few weeks now and have done a lot of research. I decided to take a break from it all and read a chapter in Ezra Taft Benson to start preparing your study guide. Little did I know that Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 13: Priceless Blessings of the House of the Lord was all about temples too! The amazing thing is when I was putting together your Study Guide, I found new articles that I hadn't seen before. I hope you enjoy the study guide this week as I've poured over almost all the talks about temples. Head to the Market now to grab the Temple Study Guide, a 2 1/2 week study.
One of the things I really like about Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 13 is all the different ways to describe the temple. It's...
There are more names and symbols referenced. Go through the chapter once and underline all the different ways we can refer to the temple. It'd be a great brainstorm to do during class as well. For me, the temple is a symbol of peace. All my burdens and worries are lifted when I entered the temple. It gives me hope and rest.
Did you like the part about teaching our children and youth about the temple? Ezra Taft Benson's memory of his mom telling him about the importance of the temple and remembering her ironing her clothes is wonderful. I wonder what our children will remember. I wonder if I'm sharing enough.
Another important part of learning about the temple is remembering to do our family's work. We are responsible for our ancestors. President Ezra Taft Benson declared,
It is not enough that we go to the temple. It is not enough to be sealed in the temple. We have to be faithful and we must do the work for our ancestors. There is no clearer way to say that. It is not sufficient to simply be sealed in the temple. Unless you've gotten your family line to go all the way back to Adam and Eve there is more work to be done. Looking for a way to dip your toes in your family history? Discover your famous relatives first or follow this easy how-to get started guide. The church has so many amazing resources and keep adding on more great resources as they partner with others like Ancestry.com. It's a great time to dive in and get going!
- Go to the temple before you teach- share the name of the person you did the work for and your testimony of the work
- See if there is an upcoming Relief Society, Ward or Stake temple trip you can mention during your lesson
- Have a list of babysitters to pass around to help encourage young moms to go
- Try indexing- ask a youth to teach you how
- Do one of your ancestor's names in the temple starting with baptism through their sealing
- Research one of your ancestor's so you can tell their story during your lesson
- Ask a family history consultant to give a brief testimony of the work
- Plan a family history work night soon after
- Pass around a sign up for sisters that would be willing to swap babysitting or who would like to carpool
- Look up your temple's dedicatory prayer to share during your lesson
- Pass out some of the Study Journal pages in groups. Have them discuss the questions then present to the class
You can find the Gilbert Arizona temple image used above on LDS.org.
Click the images to print in 2 sizes. If you need a different size, please email me.
"Behold the Mountain of the Lord"- Hymn #54
"For All the Saints"- Hymn #82
"God Is in His Holy Temples"- Hymn #132
"Holy Temples on Mount Zion"- Hymn #289
"How Beautiful Thy Temples, Lord"- Hymn #288
"How Long, O Lord Most Holy and True"- Hymn #126
"Lord, Accept into Thy Kingdom"- Hymn #236
"Rejoice, Ye Saints of Latter Days"- Hymn #290
"Rise, Ye Saints, and Temples Enter"- Hymn #287
"The Day Dawn is Breaking"- Hymn #52
"The Glorious Gospel Light Has Shone"- Hymn #283
"Turn your Hearts"- Hymn #291
"We Love Thy House, O God"- Hymn #247
"Truth from Elijah"- Children's Songbook pg. 90
Questions to Ponder
Grab the Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 13 Study Journal to help you ponder and organize your lesson.
- What did President Benson say temples symbolize? What symbol do they hold for you?
- How do the blessings of the priesthood apply to all family members?
- How can you help others prepare to go to the temple?
- How have you been blessed through temple ordinances?
- How does viewing family history work as assisting those you love help inspire you?
- How can you help your ancestors receive gospel blessings this month?
- How can you help children and youth prepare to go to the temple one day?
- How do youth give life to family history?
- What blessings have you received as a result of continued temple attendance?
- How is the temple your "home away from our eternal home"?
Suggested Study Schedule
You may also be interested in our Temple Study Journal or Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 13 Study Journal. Need more ideas? Come join our Private Facebook Group (different than our fan page) for discussion on each lesson.
Watch "Strength beyond My Own" (about 4 minutes)
"Holy Temples, Sacred Covenants" by Sister Silvia H. Allred
"Blessings of the Temple" by President Thomas S. Monson
"Eternity Lies before Us" by President James E. Faust
"Keeping the Temple Holy" by President Gordon B. Hinckley
"The Power of Godliness Is Manifested in the Temples of God" by Elder Octaviano Tenorio
Read more about all temples, find locations, and see a gallery of temples around the world.