The purpose of Primary 1 Lesson 5: Jesus Christ is the Son of Heavenly Father is to understand that Jesus is Heavenly Father's son.
- Here is another great file folder game from Kimberly Bourne Design.
- Note- This lesson takes a bit more preparation to do some of the Enrichment Activities. Call the parents ahead of time to get baby photos sent to you to use during the lesson. There are also use of props- if you don't have them, ask to borrow on your ward's Facebook page.
- Set up different corners of your room to tell the different stories. Have props and visuals ready to go in each part so you can move around more and share your stories.
- Have the missionaries come in to tell some of the stories.
- Use the puzzle and other activities in this Red Headed Hostess class packet.
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
"Eternal Life- to Know Our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ" by Elder Robert D. Hales
"Your Charge: To Increase in Wisdom and Favor with God and Man" by President Ezra Taft Benson
"Away in a Manger"- Children's Songbook pg. 42
"This is My Beloved Son"- Children's Songbook pg. 76
"The First Article of Faith"- Children's Songbook pg. 122
"Christmas Bells"- Children's Songbook pg. 54
"Have a Very Merry Christmas"- Children's Songbook pg. 51
"He Sent His Son"- Children's Songbook pg. 34
"Little Jesus"- Children's Songbook pg. 39
"Mary's Lullaby"- Children's Songbook pg. 44
"Oh, Hush Thee, My Baby"- Children's Songbook pg. 48
"Once within a Lowly Stable"- Children's Songbook pg. 41
"Picture a Christmas"- Children's Songbook pg. 50
"Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus"- Children's Songbook pg. 36
"Sleep, Little Jesus"- Children's Songbook pg. 47
"Stars Were Gleaming"- Children's Songbook pg. 37
"The Nativity Song"- Children's Songbook pg. 52
"The Shepherd's Carol"- Children's Songbook pg. 40
"There Was Starlight on the Hillside"- Children's Songbook pg. 40
"When Joseph Went to Bethlehem"- Children's Songbook pg. 38
"Who Is the Child?"- Children's Songbook pg. 46
The Only True God and Jesus Christ Whom He Has Sent (about 2 1/2 minutes)- Elder Holland testifies
The Nativity (about 6 minutes)- Luke 2
Jesus Christ is Born (about 1 1/2 minutes)- Illustrated scripture story
The Boy Jesus (about 2 minutes)- Illustrated scriptures story
Young Jesus Teaching in the Temple (about 2 1/2 minutes)- Bible Video
Jesus is Baptized (about 2 minutes)- Illustrated scripture story
The Baptism of Jesus (about 3 minutes)- Bible video
My Primary 1 Lesson 5 handout packet includes
- Finger Puppet Scenes- Small enough to fit on a Sunbeam's finger. I also made a bigger one if you want to use them as visuals instead. Cut on the dotted lines and around the picture then tape the ends together to form a ring. You can find these images on LDS.org. Each scene is relates to the stories in the manual.
He Sent His Son- Order the events before and after Christ's birth or use just the big oval picture- punch a hole in it and use it as necklace.
A Week for the Christmas Story- Finish the scene as you read scriptures and sing songs
Find the Differences- Spot the differences in these two scenes
The Christmas Story- (scroll down) Use the pictures to tell the Christmas Story or make ornaments as suggested in the activity above it.
Picture Strip Bookmarks- Probably something you'd have to make beforehand either to use in your lesson or to give to each child for fun. You could bring stickers for them to add to the bookmarks though.
Two Witnesses of Jesus' Birth- Use the silhouettes to make puppets and tell the story in your lesson. Give each child a puppet. You could even bring a flashlight and play shadow puppets!
Christ's Life on Earth- Coloring page or make into puppets or cut and paste on paper then add some star stickers.
The Christmas Story- A great manger to use with scrolling story pictures. You can have the kids glue on extra hay or add more star stickers too.
When Jesus Was a Child- What things look like where Jesus lived
Jesus Christ Teaches at the Temple- A rebus story. You can use this with the lesson- they say the pictures or send one home with them so they can share something they learned with their families.
Jesus Christ Shows Us the Way- We can grow up like Jesus did- use this flower to show how we grow.
Our Savior, Jesus Christ- Poster of Jesus being baptized
The Nativity- Color and glue to another sheet of paper to assemble
Nativity Craft- Make this simple stable and learn how to draw a sheep
Make Your Own Manger- Cute craft made with a paper bag
Nativity Cutouts- A pop out scene to assemble
The Wondrous Nativity- Another pop out scene to assemble
The Christmas Story (split scenes- the shepherds and the manger)
The First Christmas (dot to dot with Wise Men)
Isaiah Prophesies of Jesus Christ's Birth (manger scene)