The purpose of Primary 3 Lesson 5: The First Vision is to help everyone know that Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
- Jumbo size your lesson with these handouts from Latter-day Chatter
- Hatch Patch has a lesson packet to help you teach the First Vision
- I always recommend reading the First Vision directly from the scriptures. It brings the Spirit into the room a way nothing else can.
- This teaching packet from The Red Headed Hostess contains six learning activities that would go great with this lesson.
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
"Joseph Smith's First Prayer"- Hymn #26
"The Sacred Grove"- Children's Songbook pg. 87
"An Angel Came to Joseph Smith"- Children's Songbook pg. 86
"On a Golden Springtime"- Children's Songbook pg. 88
"The Golden Plates"- Children's Songbook pg. 86
"This is My Beloved Son"- Children's Songbook pg. 76
A Seer Will I Raise Up (about 5 minutes)- Joseph Smith is prepared to bring about the restoration
Joseph Smith's First Vision- Illustrated scripture story
Seeker of Truth (about 2 minutes)- Describes Joseph's search for truth
Special Witness- Elder Christofferson (about 6 minutes)- Testifies of Joseph Smith's First Vision
The Restoration (about 20 minutes)- The First Vision
Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ Appeared to Joseph Smith (about 6 minutes)- Elder Christofferson testifies of Joseph Smith
My Primary 3 Lesson 5 handout packet includes
- James 1:5 poster in two sizes
- Finish the drawing sheet- I put trees on the sheet, have your class finish the scene to coordinate with Enrichment Activity #1
- Prayer worksheets to go with Enrichment Activity #2- Depending on the age you can write or draw your answers here.
Joseph Smith- Prophet of the Restoration- Make a shoe box scene of the First Vision
Joseph Smith Finger Scenes- Finger puppets to tell the story
The Life of Joseph Smith- Map out the events in Joseph Smith's life
Partial Pictures- Figure out the scenes of these partial pictures with these scriptures
Jesus Christ Restored the Fulness of the Gospel through Joseph Smith- Make a spin wheel of the First Vision
Joseph Smith's First Vision- Color pictures to go with the story and make a movable character and scene
The First Vision- (older classes) Quiz with scriptures to find the answers
This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!- Put together this church with scenes from the first vision