The purpose in teaching Primary 5 Lesson 5: Joseph Smith Receives the Gold Plates is to help everyone understand that when are obedient and do our part, Heavenly Father will help us.
- Bring pieces that when put together will make a replica of the gold plates plus a few odd pieces. Display them on the table and as each student reads a description of the gold plates as found in Enrichment Activity 5, have them pick a piece that relates and put it together. Cardboard, rings, and gold paint will work well this replica.
- As you read the description of the Urim and Thummim (see Enrichment Activity 4), have someone try to draw a likeness of it on the board.
- Take turns hiding the gold plates- 1 person hides while everyone else closes their eyes or waits in the hallway if you have extra time. Whoever finds them also has to share one thing they learned from the lesson.
- The Red Headed Hostess has another great lesson pack to go with this one. Save yourself time and money when you buy the combo pack now- includes 4 lesson packs.
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
"An Angel Came to Joseph Smith"- Children's Songbook pg. 86
"Baptism"- Children's Songbook pg. 100
"The Golden Plates"-Children's Songbook pg. 86
"Keep the Commandments"-Children's Songbook pg. 146
"Choose the Right Way"- Children's Songbook pg. 160
"Nephi's Courage"-Children's Songbook pg. 120
"I Will Always Obey"- Sheet music by Janice Kapp Perry
"Quickly I'll Obey"- Children's Songbook pg. 197
"Stand for the Right"- Children's Songbook pg. 159
My Primary 5 Lesson 5 handout packet includes
- Paper strips to go with Enrichment Activity 1 and 5
- 1 Nephi 3:7 poster- cut it into puzzle pieces then discuss Enrichment Activity 2
- Journal page
The Golden Plates- Matching game of dates and events surrounding the Golden Plates.
Mystery Picture- Answer questions about Joseph Smith to help connect the dots and reveal a hidden picture.
Joseph Smith Protects the Gold plates- Use these scripture figures to tell the story of how Joseph protected the gold plates.
The Book of Mormon, a Gift from Heavenly Father- Use these pictures to tell the story of how Joseph got the plates.
Joseph Smith Receives the Gold Plates- Use these scripture figures to tell the story of how the Angel Moroni instructed Joseph on how to get the plates.
Worth More Than its Weight in Gold- Mormonad poster
I Will Go and Do- Match prophets in the Book of Mormon with how they were obedient
Showing the Way- Scripture chase about obedience and a maze
There Is No Need to Sail Uncharted Seas- Bright Ideas poster
The Brass Plates- Illustrated pictures you could use to tell the story of Nephi going to get the plates in Jerusalem.
I Obey Jesus Christ Because I love Him- Write commandments on a picture of stone tablets and focus on how you can be better at keeping those commandments.