The purpose for teaching Primary 5 Lesson 8: The Priesthood Is Restored is to understand the importance of priesthood authority and to have a desire to be worthy of priesthood ordinances and blessings.
- The Red Headed Hostess class packet for this lesson includes an illustrated flipbook about the restoration of the Priesthood.
- Use the scriptures in Enrichment Activity 1 to create a scripture chain. In the margin or footnotes, write the references to the next scripture until you get to the end. On the last one, write the scripture to the first one. It's a great way to get into the scriptures more with your class and show them how fun they can be.
- Did you know as you help your class memorize Articles of Faith you are helping them pass of requirements in the Faith in God program? As a Primary Teacher, you should be helping your class mark some of these off- go through it occasionally and see if your lesson can help them in the program. For example, there is one requirement that says to mark scriptures about the Holy Ghost and discuss ways the Holy Ghost helps you. That is easily done during a lesson about the Holy Ghost. There is a boy and girl version of the program but the main differences relate to the Prearing for Young Women/Men sections.
The following are links to LDS.org unless otherwise stated.
"Our Most Distinguishing Feature" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
"Where are the Keys and Authority of the Priesthood?" by Elder Gary E. Stevenson
Joseph and Oliver are Given the Priesthood (about 2 minutes)- Illustrated scripture story about Joseph and Oliver receiving the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist.
Blessings of the Priesthood (about 3 minutes)- Robert D. Hales speaks about the power and blessings of the Priesthood.
Restoration of the Priesthood (about 2 minutes)- Members of the Church explain how the Priesthood was restored and how it blesses us today.
Prophets and Apostles Speak Today: Elder Perry on Priesthood part 4 (about 6 minutes)- Elder Perry teaches about the restoration of the Priesthood.
Restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood (about 1 minute)- John the Baptist restores the Aaronic Priesthood to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery
Special Witness- Elder Bednar (about 4 minutes)- Elder Bednar narrates the restoration of the Priesthood.
My Primary 5 Lesson 8 handout packet includes
Priesthood Responsibility Matching Game- You can play this game in 3 ways. I recommend using this as a review after you have already gone over the specific duties.
- Print two copies and play like a traditional matching game reviewing all the Priesthood duties for these three offices.
- Print off enough office cards to match each duty card (print all pages once). Match the correct office to one of the correct duties. I skipped the "and all the same as Deacons", etc cards so you are only matching the new responsibilities to each office.
- Only use one of each office card (skip printing the first page). The first match must be an office card and a duty card that match accordingly (new responsibilities only). When a match is made, put it on the board with Deacons on the bottom, Teachers above Deacons, and Priests on Top (representing that the Priest can really perform all the duties, etc). Each time after if you pick a card that fits into an office already on the board, place it under the right category. If it is incorrect, the card goes back.
Article of Faith 5- Number the pictures in order of how someone receives a calling from the Bishop.
Blessings of the Priesthood are Available to All- A fill-in-the-blank activity about the Priesthood and drawing yourself to finish the picture activity.
The Priesthood- A crossword puzzle about the Priesthood
Priesthood Hidden Scripture- An activity to find a scripture after crossing out letters in box.
Priesthood Word Square- A word find about the Priesthood
Remember- A matching game about Priesthood ordinances
John the Baptist Puzzle- Find out what John the Baptist restored to Joseph Smith
Jesus Christ Restored His Church in the Latter Days- Make a treasure box and fill it with coins labeled with things that were restored. You could hide the coins for younger classes and have them put the coins in the treasure box.
Church History Figures: Baptism and the Priesthood Restored- Use these figures to help tell the story of the Restoration of the Priesthood.