One of the best ways to connect with those you teach is by remembering things that are important to them like their birthdays! Everyone likes to feel special. When you remember them it sends messages of love and importance. You stopping by can be just what they needed that day. When you take 5 minutes out of your day to show them you care- it's unforgettable.
It can be hard to remember everyone's birthday though. That piece of paper you get at the beginning of the year with everyone's name (if you get one) may not even have birthdays on it. That means your first order of business is to find out when birthdays are and do it preferably before the new year begins as there are those birthdays that come on the 1st and 2nd day of the year. If you aren't able to discover birthday information before the first time you teach, bring a birthday gift in your bag just in case! Better safe than sorry.
Print this Birthday Tracker out and ask your class, parents, or other church leaders when everyone's birthday is. Then put this clearly labeled paper someone where you see it again- your lesson binder, refrigerator, etc. If you are worried about forgetting, put everyone's birthday in your online calendar with a reminder to bring by a gift or card to the person on his day. Take 5 minutes to show up at their door if it is possible and show them they are worth that extra effort. If distance is a problem, mail a card a few days ahead of time or bring something for them on the Sunday before their birthday.
All you need to do is give them a birthday card (homemade ones are great) but if you are looking for something more to give, try these ideas. (Also ask your leaders to see if there is a budget you can use or if they are planning on a joint gift already).
Birthday Gift Ideas
- Stop by the Dollar Store for a helium balloon and birthday card. Make life easier by buying a bunch of Happy Birthday balloons and a helium tank at your house.
- Make your own birthday card with pictures cut out of church magazines or search Pinterest and print a free one off.
- Candy Wrappers for All Year not only allow you to give a special birthday present but you'll have gift ideas for the whole year. Make all of yours at the beginning of the year so all you have to worry about later is grabbing one and heading over to their house.
- Choose the Right labels for water bottles although you could wrap these labels around a lot more with a little creativity. Discover their favorite soda (with the class survey) and wrap it around a small bottle of that instead.
- Give out these cute homemade ribbons- attach candy or a small toy for added fun.
- Find their favorite candy bar and attach a note
- Use this CTR cookie cutter to make all kinds of goodies for your Primary from cookies to clay ornaments at Christmas. There is also this 3 pack of shields if you want various sizes. Freeze cookies for the year so when it's the next person's birthday all you have to do is take the cookie out a day before and frost.
- These CTR pencil toppers make an quick and easy gift. Add the red and blue scripture marking pencil for a perfect match.
- Wrap your birthday note around a bag of popcorn
- Looking for something Young Women specific? Try these wrappers from Sugardoodle.
Your Turn- What do you do for birthdays in your class?